IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry
IELTS essay topic:
People prefer to watch foreign films rather than locally produced ones. Why do you think this happens? Should the government support local film makers financially?
There has always been an audience for international films. There are several reasons for this. However, the local film industry should not be allowed to suffer from the onslaught of international films. In my opinion, governments can play a crucial role in helping regional films succeed. In this essay, I will analyze the reasons behind the popularity of international films and suggest steps that the governments should take to help regional film makers.
The major reason behind the popularity of foreign films is the presence of internationally acclaimed directors and actors. International award functions like the Oscars and film festivals like the Cannes get wide media coverage all over the world. This has also contributed to the popularity of foreign films.
Technological advancements in foreign films are another reason for their mass appeal. Technology has taken entertainment to an altogether new level. Thanks to developments in the audio-visual technology, we can now watch animated kids’ movies, action movies and science fiction movies.
There are also period movies based on historic events like war and its impact on countries. Movies like Schindler’s List are an example of this. They are watched by people all over the world.
On the flip side, there is a different class of audience for regional films. Film industries in Japan, China and Scandinavia mainly produce films based on their culture. These films enjoy huge popularity in their countries.
In my opinion, the governments can play a vital role in helping the local film industry survive. For example, the governments can provide tax relief to movies based on local culture. They should also provide interest free loans to regional film makers. In addition, awards should be instituted to honor such films. In the absence of support from the local government, the regional film industry will not be able to survive. I firmly believe that governments that want to protect their culture and legacy will not allow that to happen.
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- IELTS essay: The clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. Is this a good or bad thing?
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?
- IELTS Speaking sample test with answers 2
- IELTS essay: Do you think that admiring film and sports personalities is a good idea?
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments support professional sporting events?
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?
- IELTS essay writing task: Are politicians more influential than scientists?
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals. Is this justified?
- IELTS sample essay: Should governments provide free internet?