IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
Some people think that economic growth is the only way to stop world’s poverty and hunger, while others say that economic growth is the cause of environmental disasters. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Over seven billion people inhabit the earth today. Without economic development, it would be impossible to feed them all. It is true that industrialization which drives economic growth also leads to several environmental problems. This, however, does not mean that we should forsake economic development to protect the environment. Instead, we should develop eco-friendly technologies.
It is impossible to eradicate poverty without economic development. Poverty and hunger are the biggest problems that people face in economically backward countries. Industrialization is the only solution to this problem. Industrialization helps create jobs and alleviate property. Employed people have improved purchasing power. They can feed and clothe their family.
On the flip side, industrialization has resulted in environmental pollution. Factories emit poisonous gases into the atmosphere. This causes air pollution and several health problems. When factories dumb industrial waste into oceans and rivers, it results in water pollution. Excessive use of fertilizers and pesticides not only causes soil pollution but also leads to several illnesses in human beings.
Besides causing health problems, environmental pollution upsets the balance of our ecosystem. Global warming has become a major problem all over the world. Climate change causes floods in one part of the world and droughts in other parts. In fact, today environmental problems threaten the very existence of life on this planet. This is not something that we can ignore.
To conclude, we need both development and a clean environment. We can’t sacrifice one for another. This wouldn’t be possible without investing in sustainable technologies. Governments and big organizations must encourage research into the development of eco-friendly technologies. Spreading awareness about the impact of environmental problems is equally important.
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- Band 8 sample essay: Nations should cooperate with one another to solve environmental problems
- Band 7 essay samples: Flights have become cheaper. Is this a positive development?
- IELTS essay: The usage of private cars is increasing. What are the problems associated with this?
- IELTS essay: Do celebrities experience more problems than the benefits they enjoy?
- IELTS Essay: Are multinational companies good for the economies of developing countries?
- IELTS essay: The quality of life in cities in worsening
- IELTS Model Essay
- Using not only/but also
- IELTS essay about people wearing clothes of the same kind