I find article mistakes in nearly all essays I correct. Many students simply omit them. Others use the indefinite article in places where the definite article is required.
Can you use articles correctly? Test your knowledge with this interactive exercise.
A singular countable noun must have an article or another determiner with it. Determiners can be possessives (my, your, their, our, your, his, her), demonstratives (this, that, these and those) and quantifiers (any).
Plural and uncountable nouns can be used with or without articles.
Grammar Exercise: Definite and Indefinite Articles
- Article mistakes
- All and every
- Common expressions without articles
- IELTS essays: common grammar mistakes to avoid
- Common mistakes with simple present and present perfect tenses
- Making comparisons using as…as
- Comparison using as…as
- Improve your vocabulary
- IELTS writing: why it is important to use different sentence patterns
- IELTS Reading Tips