Government Investment In The Arts Is A Waste Of Money | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Government investment in the arts, such as music and theatre, is a waste of money. Governments must invest this money in public services instead. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your task 1 and task 2 writing samples corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is argued that governments are wasting their resources by paying for the preservation of arts and that they would be better off spending the funds on public sectors. While it is crucial to increase spending on public services such as education or transportation, governments should not cut all their expenses on arts.
On the one hand, improving public services is crucial for the development of a country. For example, when the funds are utilised for traffic projects like road maintenance or public transportation, the number of traffic accidents will reduce, and people can plan their trips better around the city thanks to frequent bus and train services. Furthermore, with sufficient funding, the authorities can keep public workers happy and avoid their going on strikes. Imagine all teachers in a city stop teaching for a day to protest against low wages. It would lead to classes being cancelled, and parents having to stay home to look after their schoolchildren. That would be a very troublesome / difficult situation for families and offices alike.
On the other hand, it is equally important to spend on arts. If the officials decided to stop spending on music and theatre, it would be a serious mistake and could result in the loss of national identity. We all know that arts and culture are interrelated. If a country does not emphasize on preserving arts, the cultural aspects associated with traditional music and theatre will gradually disappear. The nation will in turn lose their cultural uniqueness, which is of great importance for tourism. If travellers find nothing extraordinary about a culture, it is less likely that they will make that country their desired destination.
In conclusion, I am against the idea of governments cutting all investment in arts to spend on public services. The authorities should balance their spending between these two sectors so public services can operate smoothly and at the same time cultural diversity and uniqueness can be maintained.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | Some people think that the government is wasting money on the arts and this money could be better spent elsewhere
- Some People Think That The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Government Is Wasting Money On Arts And This Money Could Be Better Spent Elsewhere | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Should Government Spend Money On Arts When They Have So Many Other Important Issues | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 essay sample | Government should stop wasting money on arts
- Should Governments Spend Public Money On Saving Languages | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Essay: Are public celebrations a waste of money?
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | International Sporting Events Are A Waste Of Money And Time
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | In order to solve traffic problems government should tax private cars owners heavily and use the money to improve public transport
- In Order To Solve Traffic Problems, Governments Should Tax Private Car Owners Heavily And Use The Money To Improve Public Transportation | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample