Genetic Engineering Is A Dangerous Trend | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Genetic engineering is a dangerous trend. It should be limited. To what extent do you agree?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Alteration in genes which is performed in genetic engineering might result in harmful outcomes. However, I believe that it is an important solution for some of our problems in medicine and agriculture. Hence, I disagree with the argument that it should be limited / discouraged / stopped.
Changes in genes due to numerous natural factors have been happening over the history of life on earth. Therefore, making some intentional alteration in genes to receive positive responses can be advantageous for us. In medicine, there are many health problems which stem from gene problems directly such as Cystic fibrosis (CF) which is caused by a defect in producing a protein in the respiratory system due to a gene problem. Recent treatment for the patient with CF is to inject some genes through a sophisticated process to induce the patient’s body to generate that protein to control the symptoms of CF. Hence, genetic engineering plays a vital role in the treatment of many diseases which used to be considered as incurable in past. Although the risk of possible side effects always exists just like in the case of any other medication, this risk can be reduced when adequate researches and clinical trials are done before the treatment. As a result, having as efficient supervision by health authorities is compulsory for public safety.
Genetic engineering has been able to help us in agriculture as well. The growing population of the world requires more profitable cultivation and more resistant plants against pests. With the help of genetic engineering experts have been able to develop these plants to feed more people with less damage to nature. For example, a new modified generation of corn which is cultivated in Canada recently is more resistant to the majority of pests. Thus they can be used in many countries which have faced pest problems.
In conclusion, although genetic engineering might have some downsides, I strongly believe that its benefits in medicine and agriculture do not support the decision to stop it.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample | People now live in different places during their lifetime. Is this a positive trend
- Parents Of Obese Children Should Be Punished For Making Their Children Fat | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Rescue Workers Should Not Risk Their Life To Save People Doing Dangerous Sports | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Researching And Treating Diseases Is Too Costly So It Would Be Better To Invest In Preventive Measures | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That GM Foods Can Solve Food Scarcity | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- There Is An Increasing Trend Around The World Of Married Couples Deciding Not To Have Children | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Are Alternative Medicines Harmful?
- More And More People Are Suffering From Health Problems Caused By Modern Lifestyle Which Cannot Be Cured With Modern Medicines | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Nowadays many young people are attracted to dangerous sports | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
- Band 8 essay sample | Advantages of nuclear energy outweigh disadvantages