Formal Examinations Are The Only Effective Way To Assess A Student’s Performance | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
Formal examinations are the only effective way to assess a student’s performance. Continual assessment such as course work and projects is not a satisfactory way to do this. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Here is a band 7 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 7 IELTS essay sample
Many people argue that formal examinations are a far better way than practical assessments to judge a student’s performance. I disagree with this statement to a large extent as regular course work and projects completely assess student’s knowledge and creativity at various levels
Assessing students routinely is a more effective way than conducting yearly exams. To begin with, many students perform far better in their regular classes but unfortunately lacks in a pen and paper test. For instance, a brilliant student may be unable to perform to the best of his ability because of ill health. This will eventually hurt his confidence largely and can affect his performance in further exams too. Therefore, assessing the knowledge of a student on the basis of their performance in annual exams alone is not a brilliant idea.
Conversely, there are those who insist that the traditional way of conducting exams judges a student’s ability effectively. They assert that exam conducting bodies meticulously organise the papers and thus every student has an equal opportunity to show their mettle in a three hour exam. While this may be true to a certain extent, I believe that these three hours are not enough to test students’ hard work and the tremendous efforts they put in throughout the year. More crucially, these exams do not assess students on their soft skills such as teamwork, communication skills and even do not take into account factors like discipline and punctuality.
On the other hand, continuous assessment allows teachers to see whether students are progressing. Making them do projects and other activities is also a great way to ensure that they are applying the knowledge they learned in the classroom.
To conclude, although conducting exams in a structured way can tell students’ performance in a span of three hours, these exams do not take into account specific situations that might affect a student from performing to the best of their ability. Hence, in my opinion, continuous assessment is a better way to measure the progress of students.
- Formal Exams Are Used To Assess Students At The End Of Each Semester In Many Countries | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | The Formal Pen And Paper Tests Are Not Very Effective
- Band 9 Essay about the Merits and Demerits of Written Examinations
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students be separated on the basis of their academic performance?
- Children Have More And More Tests And Exams At School | What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Making Children Do Exams | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- What Are The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Making Children Do Exams? | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?
- Children Have More And More Tests And Exams At School | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about teachers rewarding students
- The Performance Of Staff Can Have A Significant Impact On The Success Of A Company | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample