Every year several languages die out. Some people think that it is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world | Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Every year several languages die out. Some people think that it is not important because life will be easier if there are fewer languages in the world. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Many languages that were once in use have become defunct / extinct now. Some people argue that fewer languages make the world an easier place to live in. In my opinion, a few common languages for the entire world can make people’s lives easier; however, saving minority languages along with their culture will make the world an interesting place.
The existence of only a few common languages certainly makes life easier for people. When people of different countries speak a common language, it makes traveling and trading easier. For instance, while traveling to a foreign country such as Thailand people struggle to navigate their way to the hotel or various tourist attractions in the country because many local people don’t speak any language other than their mother tongue. In addition, starting a new business and running it successfully in a foreign country is difficult due to the language barrier. In my personal experience, as a business man from India I found it difficult to run my new business in Indonesia as most of my customers could not speak English. Thus it is evident that speaking a few common languages will make the world an easier place to live in.
On the other hand, one beautiful thing about this world is its diversity in culture and languages. As people adopt one common language and refuse to speak and study their own language, the world is losing its diversity. Losing a language means losing a culture as well; therefore it is important to save languages to make the world a beautiful and multicultural place.
In conclusion, minority languages are disappearing from the world because their own speakers refuse to learn and speak them. At the same time, languages like English are becoming more and more popular. In my opinion, it is true that a few common languages for the entire world can make people’s life less complicated; however, saving dying languages along with their culture can make world a beautiful place to live in.
- IELTS essay sample | Languages are dying around the world. Is this a positive development?
- IELTS essay sample | Should languages be allowed to die?
- Band 9 essay sample: Can we allow languages to die?
- IELTS essay about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Should Everyone Learn English?
- IELTS essay sample | Should English be taught at schools?
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | To Learn About Other Countries It Is Important To Travel To Them
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Taking a Gap Year | Band 8 Essay Sample
- IELTS Speaking practice test