Every country has poor people and every country has different ways of dealing with the poor. What are some of the reasons for world poverty? How can the poor be helped? Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Poverty is prevailing in all the countries across the world and is being dealt in many ways. Unemployment and illiteracy are the potential factors which contribute to destitution. Though an overwhelming number of people are below poverty line, it can be brought down by providing free education and creating job opportunities.
Apparently, there are two evident reasons behind poverty. The first one is illiteracy. If people are not educated or skilled, it is difficult for them to secure a job which will provide a stable income. Since most of the poverty struck people are illiterates, they can only perform menial jobs and earn meagre salaries. This leads to unemployment which is another reason behind poverty. Manual labour does not offer job security and as a result, poor people are jobless for most of the months. This creates the vicious circle of poverty. In other words, without education, a job cannot be availed and without an income, people cannot provide education to their children. This is a repetitive never-ending cycle.
To combat this problem of destitution, two viable solutions are available. Firstly, free education should be provided to all the citizens regardless of their background. The entire population may not graduate out of this scheme. However, most of them will become literate and qualify for some standard jobs such as those of industry workers which can get them a steady pay as well as experience for better jobs in future. Secondly, a good number of job opportunities should be created by the government to help the needy. For example, scavengers are required everywhere. If they are employed directly by the government, the needy get an opportunity to receive a constant income from a secured job.
In conclusion, unemployment and illiteracy are the most obvious factors causing poverty. However, the vicious circle can be interrupted by generating numerous job opportunities as well as providing free education to the destitute.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- Rich Are Becoming Richer And Poor Are Becoming Poorer | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Believe That Modern Technology Is Increasing The Gap Between The Rich And The Poor | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | The Gap Between The Rich And The Poor Is Widening
- Both The Poor And The Rich Find Accessibility Into University Difficult | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Universities Should Support Students Who Come From Disadvantaged Backgrounds | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Should wealthy nations share their wealth among poor nations
- Band 8 Essay Sample About Rising Crime Rates
- Band 9 essay sample | The rich nations should help the poor nations
- When A Country Develops Its Technology Traditional Skills And Ways Of Life Die Out | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample