Many governments think that economic progress is their most important goal. Some people, however, think that other types of progress are equally important for a country. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Achieving economic progress is the ultimate goal of most governments all over the world. Some people, however, insist that a nation has to develop in other areas as well. I agree with them. In my opinion, a nation has to achieve social, cultural and intellectual progress among others.
Economic prosperity is important but it cannot be the only yard stick of development. Take, for instance, the case of Arabian nations. Many of them are rich; yet these countries are notorious for denying basic human rights to their people. Citizens cannot raise their voice against the authorities. In some Middle Eastern countries people cannot even decide what they should wear. Everything is dictated to them. Needless to say, in spite of the economic prosperity that these countries have achieved, the quality of life is somewhat low.
There are also some countries that have chosen to progress at the expense of environment. China is a good example of this. Chinese economy is growing at a rapid pace, but the cost of this development is the rampant pollution. Air quality is particularly worse in cities like Beijing. Obviously, this kind of development will not benefit people because it puts their health at risk. Intellectual and cultural progress is equally important. A nation that excels in these aspects will enjoy tremendous goodwill and reputation even if it is not very affluent.
To conclude, economic development is just one of the measures of progress. In order to achieve overall development and improve the quality of living, a nation has to progress in other areas as well.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Post it in the comments below to get a free band score estimate.
- Many governments think that economic progress is their most important goal | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay sample | Economic growth is the measure of a nation’s development
- Band 6.5 essay sample about the goals of a government
- Economic growth is beneficial for people and societies | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- IELTS about economic development and environmental problems
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Governments Should No Spend Money On International Aid When They Have Their Own Disadvantaged People
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Schools Should Reward Students Who Show Progress
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | The Government Should Allot More Funds For The Teaching Of Science
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?