Universities and colleges are now offering qualifications through distance learning from the internet rather than teachers in the classroom. Do you think the advantages of this develop outweigh the disadvantages?
Here is a band 7.5 essay on this topic. It is an edited version of an essay submitted by one of our students. If you need help with IELTS writing, you can get your IELTS writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
It is true that people are able to gain qualifications provided by universities and colleges via distance learning. Some people argue that people can benefit from this development and meet their learning needs. However, I believe that distance learning has more drawbacks than merits due to its lack of efficiency.
There is a commonly held view that distance learning can be beneficial for some people especially those in rural areas. This is because there are few universities or colleges in these areas due to the small population. If students can gain qualifications through distance learning, they can develop their skills, improving their employability. Another advantage of distance learning is that interested people can obtain knowledge in a variety of fields. For instance, if an Asian student wants to study how Western countries develop solar power, he/ she can easily enrol in the relevant course at an open university.
However, my strongly held opinion is that distance learning can certainly decrease the effectiveness of student learning. It is evident that students are likely to get distracted while doing a distance learning program as they might use their laptops to browse other websites which are not relevant to course contents. For example, it is widely known that learners cannot concentrate on online learning because they tend to get distracted by social media. In addition, learners cannot receive instant and constructive feedback from teachers, making the process of learning less efficient. If students are not able to focus on their learning, it is highly impossible for them to meet the requirements of qualifications.
In conclusion, although distance learning certainly enables students to acquire some academic qualifications, it is not an efficient way of learning and hence I think its disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
If you have an essay on this topic, post it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Band 9 essay sample: Online learning is better than classroom learning. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay: Are distance learning programs as effective as full time programs?
- Band 9 essay sample | Is online learning a positive development?
- IELTS essay: All learning should be done online
- Do The Disadvantages Of International Traveling Outweigh The Advantages | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Prefer Online Classes, While Others Prefer Classroom Learning | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 essay sample | Advantages of nuclear energy outweigh disadvantages
- Do The Advantages Of Running A Business Outweigh The Disadvantages? | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Fewer schools are requiring children to learn and improve their handwriting skills. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of this trend?
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping