Cultures And Traditions Change From Generation To Generation | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Cultures and traditions change from generation to generation. Why does this happen? What can be done to change it?
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It has been observed that cultures and traditions have been changing with every generation. In my opinion the reason behind this is the disintegration of joint families along with a more career-oriented mindset of the recent generations. Several steps can be taken to change this.
It is a well-known fact that cultural values and traditions are passed down from grandparents to grandchildren. However, due to changing lifestyle joint families are slowly and gradually getting converted to nuclear families. This prevents the grandparents from passing down beliefs and traditions to children. As the current generation is not aware of what their family beliefs and values are, they will follow the ones that they believe are appropriate. Secondly, as families become nuclear and parents focus more on their careers they have little time to transfer their culture and traditions to their children. Children learn from the actions of their parents and hence end up acting in the same way with their children as their parents did with them. Unfortunately, this hampers the adoption of family values and traditions.
To address the situation, people should be made aware of the benefits of staying in a joint family. This can be achieved through NGO or government agencies staging road shows or seminars that highlight the advantages. The government should also contemplate to introduce additional tax benefits for people who prefer to stay in a joint family. To add to that, schools should introduce activities around culture and traditions that require greater involvement from parents. This would force the parents to contribute to the task and they would eventually end up passing down their traditions and cultures.
To conclude, to ensure that age old traditions and cultures stay intact and are passed down from generation to generation, the government and schools should play an active role in spreading awareness about the positives of staying in a joint family along and help facilitate conversation between parents and children on topics of culture and tradition through various activities.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay sample: Children now know less about their culture
- IELTS Speaking Questions: Family- related
- Band 9 essay sample about traditional values of older people
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?
- International Tourism Creates Tension Rather Than Understanding Between People From Different Cultures | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Children Do Not Respect Parents
- Band 9 essay sample | Visitors should follow local customs and traditions
- Some Parents Prefer To Have Their Children Raised By Their Grandparents | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Sending Kids to Childcare Centres Is Better Than Leaving Them in the Care of Their Grandparents
- Art Is Considered An Essential Part Of Cultures Throughout The World | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample