Some people think that allowing children to make their own choices on everyday matters such as food, clothes and entertainment is likely to result in a society of individuals who only think about their own wishes. Other people believe that it is important for children to make decision about matters that affect them. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a band 9 essay on this topic. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some people insist that children should have the freedom to decide what they should eat, wear, read or watch. Others opine that if children have the freedom to make their own choices, they will grow up into selfish individuals. In my opinion, children should definitely have the freedom to make their own choices; however, parents should also teach them to respect the needs and wants of others.
It is important for children to make their own choices. This way they can learn to be independent and grow up into strong willed adults who achieve success. What’s more, a child who knows what he wants is more likely to be successful than one who has no clear goals or ambitions. Needless to say, children who take small decisions right from their childhood are better at dealing with challenges and conflicts.
However, there is an important downside to this. Children who make their own choices have increased chances of becoming selfish. For instance, my nephew always insists on watching his favourite programmes on television. He does not care whether the rest of the family likes those shows or not. He is only concerned about what he wants. In future, this attitude will impact his ability to work in a team. He may even fail in his relationships. In short, the lack of emotional intelligence is detrimental to the success and happiness of a child.
In conclusion, although it is important for children to learn to make choices regarding their day to day life, parents must ensure that they are also learning to respect the decisions and choices of others. Only then can they grow up into free-willed adults who also possess empathy.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Post it in the comments below to get a band score estimate.
- IELTS sample essay: Should children be allowed to follow their instincts?
- Band 7 essay sample: Should children be disciplined?
- IELTS essay about parents buying too many toys for their children
- It is often said that children learn best by observing the behavior of adults and copying it | Band 9 IELTS essay sample
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Children Learn By Observing And Copying the Behaviour of Adults
- Some Working Parents Think Children Should Be Sent To Child Care Centres | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some people feel that boarding schools are an excellent option for children | Band 8 IELTS essay sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Smacking Children Is The Best Form Of Discipline
- IELTS essay written by student: Should children be encouraged to cooperate?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Students Should Only Be Allowed To Study Science Subjects