Certain Personal Qualities Cannot Be Achieved Through University Studies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Certain personal qualities cannot be achieved through university studies. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give your opinion and relevant examples.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
It is impossible to gain certain personal traits through tertiary education. I certainly agree with this statement because certain attributes can only be learnt through practical experience and these days universities tend to focus more on securing a job for students rather than developing their personality.
Certain personal qualities like leadership skills cannot be mastered through university education. It can only be acquired through practical experience. Universities do teach leadership skills; however, there is not much emphasis on this. For example, in some universities there are dedicated sessions to train students on soft skills; however, these skills are not practiced so they wear out in a short span of time. Colleges provide students with theoretical knowledge about leadership, whereas a real time experience would give them a comprehensive understanding of the skill.
Universities focus on securing a job for a student rather than developing their personality traits. Job placements are considered to be of paramount importance for students, which is why the emphasis is high on them. As a matter of fact, students choose universities that have excellent placement records. So, institutions tend to focus on developing their technical knowledge rather than personal qualities. For instance, the information technology industry is known to hire more candidates than any other industry and it requires students to have a strong programming background rather than strong personal skills. By contrast, if companies had given equal importance to technical and soft skills, colleges would have trained students accordingly.
To recapitulate, I believe that it is not easy to achieve certain personal traits through tertiary education because qualities such as leadership skills can only be mastered through practical experience and universities tend to focus more on job placements than soft skills.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- Employer Should Pay Attention To The Personal Qualities Of Employees | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- It Is Better For Students To Live Away From Home During Their University Studies | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Completing University Education Is The Best Way To Get A Good Job | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Completing university education is thought by some to be the best way to get a good job. On the other hand, other people think that getting experience and developing soft skills is more important.
- University Students Are Increasingly Studying Abroad As Part Of Their Studies | Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample
- Some People Think That Getting A Degree From A University Is The Best Way To Guarantee A Good Job | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | More And More Students Are Going Abroad For Higher Studies
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | Young People Should Have University Education
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Education Focuses On Facts Rather Than Practical Skills
- IELTS essay sample about fresh graduates lacking interpersonal skills