Car Ownership Has Increased So Rapidly Over The Past Thirty Years That Cities Are Now One Big Traffic Jam | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
Car ownership has increased so rapidly over the past thirty years that any cities in the world are now ‘one big traffic jam’. How true do you think this statement is? What measures can governments take to discourage people from using their cars.
Here is a band 8 IELTS essay on this topic written by one of our students. Need help with IELTS writing? Get your IELTS essays, letters and reports corrected by me.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
Technology has progressed at a swift rate especially in the automotive sector causing the car ownership to rise globally.
It has reached a level where the city roads are now full of cars causing massive traffic jams throughout the world. This essay will state why I believe that the increase in car ownerships have caused the cities to come to a standstill and how governments can discourage individuals from using their private cars.
The population in the world has been on a steady rise and with the rise in the population, the number of cars has also grown tremendously over the past 3 decades. In a family of 4, each person has their own car and with all of these cars simultaneously on the roads, traffic jams have increased substantially. Another reason for the growth of traffic jams is the lack of good infrastructure. For instance, the roads and highways in India are subpar in quality, size and are not well maintained throughout the year and this is one of the main hurdles in the smooth functioning of traffic.
However, there are a number of measures that the government can introduce to help solve the problem of traffic jams. Firstly, the governing body needs to introduce a law that restricts the number of cars on the road on any particular day. For instance, the Delhi government implemented the “odd/even” rule which helped in reducing the number of cars on the road by allowing only cars with odd numbers or even numbers to ply on the road on any particular day. Secondly, the government can improve infrastructure by widening the roads and carrying out maintenance to ensure smooth traffic operations.
In conclusion, I am in complete agreement with the argument that the rise in car ownership over the past 3 decades has caused traffic jams in most major cities of the world. However, governments can improve the situation by making public transport more reliable.
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Increasing Car Ownership Has Made Many Cities One Big Traffic Jam
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | In Order To Solve Traffic Problems People Should Live In Cities
- The Number Of Cars Has Increased Significantly In Major Cities | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- Band 8 Essay Sample | Increasing Tax On Private Vehicles Will Reduce Traffic Congestion
- Some People Think That In Order To Solve Traffic And Transportation Problems People Should Be Encouraged To Live In Cities | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- In Order To Solve Traffic Problems, Governments Should Tax Private Car Owners Heavily And Use The Money To Improve Public Transportation | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample
- The Government Should Make A Better Network For Public Transport | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- Providing Free Public Transport Is The Best Way To Reduce Traffic Congestion | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- To solve traffic and transportation problems, people should be encouraged to live in cities | Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
- More And More People In Developing Countries Are Purchasing Cars For The First Time | Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample