By punishing murderers with the death penalty, society is also guilty of committing murder. Therefore, life in prison is a better punishment for murderers. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Need help with writing? Get your writing samples corrected by me.
Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
It is accepted by the whole world that a murder is the most heinous crime that can be committed by a person. Hence there are laws made in every part of the world to punish the murderer. While some people argue that a person who has committed a murder should be awarded the death penalty, others insist that the law cannot commit a murder and hence punishing the murderer with a life imprisonment is a better idea. I agree with this statement to a great extent. In my opinion, if the criminal is willing to reform himself, it is better to award life term instead of the capital punishment.
Many people believe that the death penalty is the best form of punishment for a murder since it keeps a check on the crime. Many people fear the punishment and are scared to commit these kinds of crimes due to the penalties involved. The death penalty is also useful to send a message to the rest of the world that no matter who you are if you commit a murder you are going to be executed for your actions. This fear is helpful to reduce the homicide in many countries.
On the other hand, there are people who believe that if a murderer is killed then the total number of murderers in the world remains the same. Therefore in order to penalize them, life imprisonment seems to be a better option. Firstly, the mental state of the criminal should be assessed before awarding any punishment. If the person is mentally unstable, a second chance should be given to him to rectify the crime that he has committed. Secondly, many people also believe that the execution of the murderer will not bring the victim back to life. So it is not a perfect compensation for the victim’s relatives.
In conclusion, people need to accept responsibility for their actions. Punishing murderers with death penalty is one way that the society can help people to realise the consequences of their actions. However, if the criminal repents his action life imprisonment may help him to reform himself and this in turn will benefit the whole society.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- By Punishing Murderers With Death Penalty, Society Is Also Guilty Of Committing Murder | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- Band 9 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Juveniles Committing Serious Crimes Should Be Punished In The Same Way As Adults
- Under The British And Australian Laws The Jury Has No Access To The Past Criminal Record Of The Defendant | Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Is capital punishment justified?
- Band 9 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates And Capital Punishment
- Capital punishment should be abolished | Band 7 essay sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is An Increase In The Number Of Crimes Committed Each Year
- Band 7 essay sample | There should be fixed punishments for each crime