By punishing murderers with the death penalty, society is also guilty of committing murder. Therefore, life in prison is a better punishment for murderers. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Here is a band 7.5 IELTS essay on this topic submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Band 7.5 IELTS essay sample
Over the years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people who commit heinous crimes like murder or rape. Some people insist that criminals convicted of serious crimes should be given the capital punishment; others argue that putting them behind the bar for life is a better approach. I agree with the latter view because in my opinion, neither people nor judiciary has the right to take a person’s life.
To start with, people who demand capital punishment are of the opinion that it will act as a deterrent and instill fear in the minds of potential offenders. However, studies conducted on this topic have shown that the severity of the punishment has nothing to do with its being a deterrent. Rather, it depends on how fast the criminal is booked and the sentence is pronounced. In many countries it takes years for the judiciary to pronounce the verdict. This delay in awarding the sentence encourages more people to commit crimes. Also the capital punishment simply eliminates the offender from this world. It does not give them an opportunity to reform themselves. Therefore, in my opinion, the death penalty is barbaric and should be done with. Instead, the law should prefer life imprisonment.
Life in prison, on the other hand, may serve its purpose of reforming the offender by giving them an opportunity to reflect on their act and live in guilt. Each and Every one should be given second chance. We must not forget that when the law takes the life of a murderer, it is also stooping to the level of that convict.
In conclusion, criminals should be quickly brought to book for their crimes but capital punishment is not an answer for this. Life Imprisonment not only punishes offenders but also gives them a second chance to reflect on their act and mend their ways.
Do you have an essay on this topic? Submit it below in the comments for a free band score estimate.
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- IELTS essay sample about keeping criminals in imprisoned for long
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Is capital punishment justified?
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Convicted Criminals Commit More Crimes After Getting Released From Prison
- Band 8 essay sample: Many offenders commit more crimes after serving the first punishment
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Juveniles Committing Serious Crimes Should Be Punished In The Same Way As Adults
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample About Growing Crime Rates
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Many Criminals Commit Crimes After Serving Punishment
- Capital punishment should be abolished | Band 7 essay sample
- Band 7 IELTS Essay Sample | There Is An Increase In The Number Of Crimes Committed Each Year