Band 9 letter sample | A letter to the editor about the local airport
Writing Task 1
You should spend 20 minutes on the task
You are unhappy about a plan to make your local airport bigger and increase the number of flights. You live near the airport. Write a letter to your local newspaper. In your letter;
Explain where you live
Describe the problem
Give reasons why you do not want this development
You should write at least 150 words
I am writing this letter to express my concerns about the government’s decision to make the airport in our locality bigger. I live very close to it. Actually, the airport is only a 10 minutes’ walk from my home. As you can imagine, whenever an aeroplane lands or takes off, I can hear the loud sound of the engine. The sound levels in our locality are already pretty high. I checked this with a tool used for measuring sound levels. If they increase the number of flights, the situation will get worse for everyone living close to the airport. In fact, we already can’t sleep well at night.
My neighbours are also upset with the decision to further develop the airport. I have gathered their signatures and attached them to this letter.
Since it is evident that the upcoming project will have a negative impact on the people living close to the airport I would like you to publish an article against this project in your esteemed newspaper.
Thank you in advance for your support.
- IELTS Letter
- IELTS speaking practice questions and answers
- IELTS speaking and writing tests in Perth, Australia
- IELTS Writing: Model Letter 1
- IELTS Writing task 1 – letter
- Letter topic found in India: Letter to friend asking her to babysit your kids
- IELTS letter sample | Write a letter to a friend expressing your gratitude for helping you find accommodation
- Band 8 letter sample | An apology letter to a neighbour
- IELTS Sample Letter: Letter to a librarian
- Band 8 letter sample: A semi-formal letter