Here is a band 9 IELTS essay sample.
Keeping animals in captivity is cruel. There is no reason for zoos to exist in the 21st century.
Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
There are many people who question the existence of zoos in the 21st of century. In their opinion, keeping animals in captivity is unethical. While I do agree with this view, I do not think that zoos should be abolished.
In spite of all the arguments against the existence of zoos, the truth is that they still benefit both humans and animals. Zoos provide education. They give us an opportunity to observe wild animals from close quarters and learn about their behavior. Another very important benefit of maintaining zoos is that they save many endangered species from extinction. Zoos provide them with a safe environment where they can live and reproduce. Without zoos many exotic species of animals would have disappeared from earth.
The argument against the existence of zoos stems from the fact that they ill-treat animals. That is true to a certain extent. In many zoos, animals are kept in small enclosures where they cannot even move about. Such zoos exist with the sole purpose of making money by exploiting animals. In my opinion, such establishments should be closed down as we have no right to use or exploit other forms of life for our benefit.
Having said that, there are also zoos that allow animals to live in protected environments that are closer to the wilderness. Animals living in such zoos do enjoy some amount of freedom. They might even be able to hunt small animals that the zoo authorities throw into their ‘territories’. Life in such zoos actually benefits these animals because they are safe from poachers who might otherwise have killed them for their skin, teeth or tusks.
To conclude, when we consider the benefits of zoos, it is not hard to see that the argument against their existence does not hold water. Zoos do protect animals. Instead of abolishing them, what we need to do is to make them more animal friendly.
- IELTS essay: Should zoos be banned?
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Is it fair to use animals for our benefits?
- Band 8.5 Essay Sample | It Is Unfair To Use Animals For Our Benefit
- Band 9 essay sample | Keeping pets can cause health problems in children
- Academic Task 2 (Essay) as seen in Iran
- IELTS essay sample: Some scientists believe that only certain species of wildlife should be protected
- Protecting wild animals is a waste of resources | Band 8 essay samples
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- IELTS Speaking: How To Prepare For The Interview?
- IELTS essay sample | It is better to raise children in cities than in the countryside