Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | The Popularity Of Fashion Clothes Shows The Tendency Of Human Beings To Copy One Another
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay on a topic that appeared in a recent IELTS exam. Send me your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
The tendency of human beings to copy one another is shown in the popularity of fashion clothes and consumer goods. To what extent do you agree?
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Nowadays, almost everyone follows the latest fashion trends. For example, we want the latest gadgets that our friends already use. Our choice of clothing is influenced by what celebrities wear. This is a clear sign that humans like to imitate others.
We copy because we want to fit in. We don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb. For example, no one, not even those who wear casuals all the time, will wear a T-shirt and jeans to a party where the dress code is formal. This is because we have a strong need to get accepted. We do not want others to mock our style of dressing or other choices. We want to be perceived as trendy, stylish and fashionable.
The tendency to follow fashion trends stems from a basic human insecurity. We are worried that if we do not do what others do or wear what others wear, we may become less acceptable. We follow celebrities because they are already followed by millions of people. Consequently, anything that they endorse will have numerous takers. This is also a way of validating that what we are buying is a popular product. No one wants to waste their money on something that nobody else wants to buy.
Following fashion is also a great way to ensure that whether a product is good or bad, we are not the only ones spending money on it. In a sense, this justifies the purchase. So if everybody is getting the latest iPhone, that itself is a great reason for us also to get it. Worse still, not getting it can be an indication that we cannot afford it.
To conclude, humans are social animals that crave appreciation and acceptance. The easiest way to achieve this is to do what others are also doing. Following fashion trends is merely a manifestation of this basic human urge to fit in.
- IELTS essay: The clothing and fashion industry have a big influence on people. Is this a good or bad thing?
- Band 9 essay sample | Everyone now wears the same kinds of clothes and eats the same food. Is this a positive trend?
- IELTS essay sample | The popularity of consumer goods is a reflection of the power of advertising
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample About The Extinction of Wildlife Species Due To Human Activity
- IELTS essay about people wearing clothes of the same kind
- Band 9 essay sample | Translation tools have made human translators redundant
- Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample | We Can Tell A Lot About A Person’s Character From Their Choice Of Clothes
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Celebrities Set Bad Examples For Young People
- IELTS about the growing popularity of part time jobs
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Human Activity Has Had Significant Negative Impact On The Planet