IELTS Task 2 writing sample
Some people think that politicians have the greatest influence on the world, while others believe that scientists are more influential.
Discuss both sides of view and give your opinion.
Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Some people argue that politicians have the utmost impact on the world; however, others disagree. In their opinion, scientists are the most influential people on the planet. I agree with this latter group. In this essay, I will explain why I think scientists are more influential than politicians.
There is no denying the fact that politicians are influential. After all, they rule the nations of the world. They make laws. They sign international agreements. They can even decide whether we need war or peace. Take, for instance, the case of the World Wars. While the wars were fought by the soldiers, the decision to go to war was taken by politicians. Obviously, the argument that politicians are influential is understandable.
Yet, in my opinion scientists are more powerful. We wouldn’t have reached where we are today without the advancements in science and technology. Scientists have invented life saving drugs and vaccines which gave us a chance to stand up to deadly diseases. They invented the light bulbs, the automobiles, refrigerators and computers. As we can see, it is impossible to imagine a life without these inventions now. The missiles and bombs that can win a war for politicians were also invented by scientists. So, if there weren’t any scientists, we would most probably still be living in caves. The impact of politicians on our lives is negligible when we consider the impact of scientists and their inventions.
To conclude, while it is true that politicians are influential, their influence is much less pronounced than the influence of scientists.
- IELTS essay writing task: Are politicians more influential than scientists?
- IELTS essay sample | Environment protection is the responsibility of politicians
- IELTS essay sample: Some scientists believe that only certain species of wildlife should be protected
- IELTS sample essay: Are artists more popular than scientists?
- IELTS essay sample | Our achievements are bigger than those of ancient cultures
- Sample essay: Can scientists detect criminal tendencies in a child by mapping his brain at age 3?
- IELTS essay about the influence of newspapers
- Band 7.5 Essay Sample | Modern Inventions Cause More Problems Than Solutions
- Though, although and as
- IELTS essay about the influence of newspapers on the society