Here is a band 9 IELTS essay sample.
Some people think governments should take measures to improve the health of its citizens. Others think it must be managed by individuals. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
There are both sociological and economical reasons to develop a healthy lifestyle and habits among individuals. After all, healthy citizens are the biggest asset of a nation. Some people, therefore, argue that the government should play an active role in ensuring that its citizens lead a healthy lifestyle. Others feel that it is up to the individual to decide how they should live. In my opinion, health is mainly a matter of individual responsibility. Even so, there are lots of things the government can do to promote a healthy lifestyle among its people.
The government can make laws. It can ban things that are detrimental to the health of its people. For example, drugs are illegal in many countries. There are countries or states that ban alcohol and cigarettes. In some countries, the government imposes a high tax on junk food with the objective of discouraging its consumption. All of these are measures that can have a positive impact on the health of the people. Another very beneficial thing that the government can do for its people’s health is making vaccinations mandatory. Despite the fact that vaccines are safe and effective, many communities refuse to administer them to their children citing religious or other invalid reasons. By enacting laws that make vaccinations mandatory, the government can save millions of children from the clutches of diseases and death.
Having said that, health is very much an individual matter. The government cannot monitor the lifestyle of every citizen. Even in countries where drugs are illegal, people still use them. They smoke and drink. They eat junk food and spend too much time in front of the TV or computer. They are aware of the consequences of their actions; yet they are too lazy or too ignorant to change their lifestyle. The government cannot do much to help these people.
To conclude, there are lots of things that the government can do to improve the health of its citizens. However, the government alone cannot create a healthy society. Individuals need to make a conscious effort too.
IELTS writing correction service
Struggling to get a good score in the IELTS writing module? Get your writing samples corrected by us.
- IELTS essay about government taking measures to improve people’s health
- Band 7.5 essay sample | The government should ensure that people stay healthy
- Band 7 essay sample | Government should take measures to improve people’s health
- Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health | IELTS essay sample
- IELTS essay sample | Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health
- Band 6.5 Essay Sample About Public Health And Increase In Sporting Facilities
- IELTS essay sample | Environment protection is the responsibility of politicians
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- IELTS essay sample | Spending money on preventing illnesses is better than spending it on treating them
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods