Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Instead Of Focusing On One Subject, Students Should Learn A Variety Of Subjects
Here is a band 9 IELTS essay sample. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
University students often focus on one subject. However some people think that universities should encourage a range of other subjects. To what extent do you agree?
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
At school students learn a variety of subjects ranging from arts and music to literature and science. Some people insist that universities should follow the same pattern and teach a variety of students to all the students. I do not agree with this view because this method is not beneficial for the student or the society.
By the time students finish high school, they have acquired a decent understanding of a variety of subjects. For example, most of them can read and write two or three languages, do sums, identify the symptoms of common ailments and understand the basic concepts of physics, chemistry and geography. This knowledge is adequate for most people to go about their day to day lives. And for those who want to build a career in a specific field, specialization is the key. For example, someone who wants to be a doctor does not benefit from learning calculus or trigonometry. Likewise, an architect does not have to understand thermodynamics or astrophysics. Rather what they need is in depth knowledge in their field of interest.
If universities teach all subjects to all students they will not manage to produce professionals with cutting edge knowledge and expertise in specific fields. Obviously, this method of learning or teaching jeopardizes the job prospects of the students and the welfare of the society. In every society there is a need for specialists and the only way to produce specialists is to impart education that focuses on specific subjects.
To conclude, the argument that universities should teach a variety of subjects to all students does not hold water because it not only hurts the job prospects of the individual but also creates a dearth of specialists in the society.
- Band 8 essay sample | Students should learn various subjects
- Band 9 essay sample | Subjects like drawing and painting are a waste of time
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools give more importance to subjects like arts, music and creating writing?
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Schools are giving too much importance to traditional subjects like history
- Band 9 essay sample | Should schools teach traditional subjects like history?
- Band 8.5 IELTS Essay Sample | Universities Should Only Teach Science And Technology
- Band 7.5 IELTS Essay Sample | It Is Better For Children To Learn A Foreign Language At A Young Age
- Cue card: Talk about a subject that you didn’t like learning at school
- Band 7 essay sample