Here is a band 9 IELTS essay sample. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Some people believe that children are given too much free time. They feel that this time should be used to do more school work. How do you think children should spend their free time?
Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample
Nowadays both parents and teachers give undue importance to academic grades. Some people feel that since children get too much free time, they should use it to do their school work. I do not agree with this view.
To start with, the argument that children get too much free time does not hold water. Most of them already spend 7 or 8 hours at school and afterwards they have coaching classes to attend and homework to do. Most kids receive barely one or two hours of free time in a day and asking them to use that time for school work is outrageous to say the least.
Over emphasis on academics stems from the belief that school grades are an indicator of a child’s future success. However, this is not always the case. If we look around we can see that many of the super successful people in our world are college dropouts. While it is true that we are now living in an age of cut throat competition there is nothing to prove that only A graders can succeed in life. Success, in fact, depends on a variety of factors and academic grades are just one of them. A person’s communication skills, overall personality and character traits also play a crucial role in determining their chances of finding success and happiness in life. Therefore, in my opinion, parents should encourage children to pursue their non-academic interests during their free time. For example, they should be allowed to play a sport or learn a musical instrument. Engaging in such activities is a great opportunity for them to beat stress and gain physical strength and stamina.
To conclude, leisure is important for the overall development of children and hence instead of asking them to complete their school work during their free time, parents should allow them to play and be themselves.
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | Children Have Too Much Free Time
- IELTS essay sample | Should students attend extra classes after school
- Band 9 essay sample | Unpaid community work must be compulsory for school children
- Band 9 essay sample: Children should spend more time outdoor playing games
- IELTS essay: Should children be given homework?
- IELTS essay sample | Children spend too much time watching TV
- Band 8 essay sample | When both parents work how are children affected?
- IELTS Essay: Is work-life balance necessary?
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Advantages And Disadvantages Of Teaching Children At Home And School
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?