The following essay topic appeared in a recently held IELTS writing exam.
Restricting air travel is the only way to prevent air pollution. Do you agree?
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task and write at least 250 words.
Band 9 IELTS essay sample
Some people believe that the only way to reduce air pollution is to limit the number of flights. I do not agree with this view. In my opinion, restricting air travel is unlikely to have any real impact on air quality. At the same time, it may adversely affect the economy of the nation.
There is no denying the fact that aeroplanes cause air and noise pollution. They produce too much noise and emit harmful gases. While it is possible to control this pollution by reducing the number of flights, it will not fully solve the problem because the majority of pollutants in the air do not come from aircrafts. It is true that air travel has become more affordable and popular recently. However, aeroplanes still are not the primary mode of transport for the majority of people and as such they cannot be considered the number one cause of air pollution. In fact, cars and buses cause more pollution than flights because there are too many of them on the road.
What’s more, restricting air travel can have disastrous consequences for the economy. The tourism industry will be the worst hit because limited availability of flights will discourage tourists from visiting foreign countries. Import and export of goods will also be affected. Since both of these factors will affect the financial growth of the country, I do not believe that governments will want to limit air travel.
To conclude, restricting air travel is unlikely to improve air quality much because aeroplanes are not the biggest polluters on the planet. What’s more, any such move will have serious economic consequences.
- IELTS essay sample | Government should increase tax in air travel
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Government Should Reduce Pollution and Improve Housing to Prevent People from Falling Ill
- IELTS essay about increasing air and water pollution in developing nations
- Band 8 Essay Sample | More People Are Travelling Than Ever Before
- IELTS model essay: Do you think that factories and tour operators should bear the cost of cleaning up pollution?
- IELTS Cue Card | Describe the perfect job | Travel writer
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- IELTS essay sample | Consequences of overpopulation in urban areas
- IELTS essay sample | Environment protection is the responsibility of politicians
- Band 7 IELTS Report Sample | Travel To And From UK