IELTS essay prompt
Being a celebrity – such as a famous film star or sports personality – brings problems as well as benefits. Do you think that being a celebrity brings more benefits or more problems?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience.
Being a well-known personality has both positive and negative aspects. However, in my opinion, the benefits of being a celebrity outweigh the negatives. In this essay, I will support my stand by showing how fame elevates a person’s social standing and helps them feel good about themselves and the work they do.
One of the advantages of being a celebrity is that fame almost always brings riches. Celebrities are popular. This popularity makes them great brand ambassadors. Companies hire them to endorse their products because products promoted by celebrities tend to sell well. Since celebrities are rich they can buy just about anything they want without having to worry about the cost. Their popularity and their purchasing power make them feel satisfied with the work they do and help boost their morale.
Celebrities enjoy huge fan-following. Their fans regard them as role models and look up to them and follow their actions religiously. They do this with the hope of reaching the same level as their role models. Sports personalities like Roger Federer and Lionel Messi have numerous fans all over the world. Millions of children aspire to become champions like them. Thus it is evident how fame elevates a person’s social standing.
On the flip side, at times famous people can become victims of privacy invasion by their fans; such incidents, however, do not affect all of them. Some celebrities guard their privacy. Others don’t mind living in the limelight all the time. They enjoy the adulation they get.
To conclude, there are several benefits to being a celebrity. After analysing how fame makes a person rich and a role model for many, it is not hard to see that being a celebrity is an advantage, not a disadvantage.
- IELTS essay: Do you think that admiring film and sports personalities is a good idea?
- IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of freelancing
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of hosting international sporting events
- Should media write about the private lives of celebrities | IELTS essay
- Band 9 Essay Samples | Advantages and Disadvantages of Online Shopping
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS Speaking Practice Questions
- Celebrities earn more money than other professionals. Is this justified?
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- IELTS essay: Compare the advantages and disadvantages of different mediums for car advertisements