Some people believe that visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behaviour. Others disagree and think that the host country should welcome cultural differences. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Here is a sample response
More and more people are now traveling to other countries for higher studies, medical treatment, business and tourism. Some people feel that visitors should follow the culture and tradition of their host country when they are abroad. Others, however, feel that the host nation should respect cultural diversity. In my opinion, visitors should respect the local culture. The host country should also show a willingness to embrace cultures from around the world.
There are several advantages to respecting diverse cultures. To start with, it creates a cosmopolitan environment in the country and develops a sense of tolerance in the people. This attitude will benefit them when they visit another country. Another benefit of embracing diversity is that it makes life more interesting. Variety, after all, is the spice of life. When people belonging to different cultures live in one place everyone will be able to enjoy a variety of cuisines, wear different kinds of clothes, celebrate exotic festivals and learn several languages. This not only makes life more interesting but also helps the local economy. The United States and the European Union nations are home to people from all over the world. Their success and their growth rates are a result of their willingness to accept the best talent from all over the world irrespective of their cultural backgrounds.
While it is true that a nation can benefit from cultural diversity, it does not mean that local cultures and traditions should be ignored. They should be promoted too and a nation can encourage visitors to follow the local customs; however, in my opinion, imposing them on a visitor is unwarranted. Visitors who follow the local customs also benefit. They have better chances of blending themselves with the local community. They also enjoy greater degree of acceptance.
To conclude, a host country should always welcome diverse people with diverse cultures from all over the world; however, this should not be at the expense of the local culture.
- IELTS essay about foreign films and local films
- IELTS essay: Should museums charge an entry fee?
- IELTS essay sample: Children now know less about their culture
- IELTS essay sample | Foreigners visiting cultural places should pay more
- Band 9 essay sample | Everyone now wears the same kinds of clothes and eats the same food. Is this a positive trend?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students participate in international student exchange programs?
- IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry
- IELTS essay sample | Should languages be allowed to die?
- IELTS sample essay: Should children be allowed to follow their instincts?
- Band 9 essay sample about international marketing