Some people think that the teenage years are the happiest of our lives, while others believe that adult life brings more happiness. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Band 9 essay sample
People often wonder whether adolescence is better than adulthood. Some think so while others disagree. In my opinion, each stage in life has its pros and cons.
Adolescence is certainly an enjoyable period of time. Teens have few things to worry about. They are not required to earn money or support a family. As a result, many of them have plenty of free time that they can use to engage in activities they enjoy. Even the criminal law is kind to teenagers. Offences committed by teens attract less severe punishments than offences committed by adults. On the flip side, teenage is also a period of great emotional turmoil. Teens are neither kids nor adults and have a strong need for freedom. They do not like it when their parents or teachers attempt to make them behave.
By contrast, adults are more mature and responsible. Many of them have a job to meet their expenses. They have less free time than teens, but most of them simply do not care. They are more focused on their careers and want to achieve something in life. Since their family and the law treat them as mature individuals, they enjoy a greater level of freedom. For example, they can decide what they want to do with their life. They can choose a job of their liking or they can choose not to work at all. While teens are minors adults are majors capable of entering into contracts enforceable by the law.
After looking at both sides of the situation, it is not hard to see that adolescence and adulthood have their upsides and downsides. In my opinion, it is therefore wrong to claim that one stage of life is better or happier than another stage.
- Band 9 Essay Sample | People Should Spend Their Money to Enjoy Life
- IELTS essay about life imprisonment and death penalty
- Words commonly confused
- Band 6 essay sample: What are the causes of having children later in life?
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Should schools teach young students to be a good parent?
- IELTS essay about quality of life in cities
- Band 9 essay sample: Is living alone a positive development?
- IELTS Essay: Friends have a greater influence than parents on young people
- IELTS Essay: Is work-life balance necessary?
- IELTS essay: Has technology caused traditional ways of life to die