Some believe that school children should not be given homework by their teachers, whereas others argue that homework plays an important role in the education of children. Discuss both of these views and give your own opinion.
Band 9 essay sample
There are arguments both in favour of and against giving homework to students. While some people believe that homework is beneficial to children, others argue that it is an unwanted burden on them. In my opinion, a small amount of homework will help students to improve their grades; however, I am against giving too much homework.
The biggest advantage of homework is that it encourages students to open their books and revise their lessons after reaching home. And if they do their homework with concentration, they will also learn the lessons. This will definitely improve their grades. If teachers do not give homework, most students will simply waste their time after reaching home playing video games or chatting with their friends. They will have to work doubly hard when exams draw closer. By encouraging students to learn the lessons the day they are taught, homework helps them improve their grades.
On the other hand, homework can also be an unwanted burden. Most students spend a lot of time in the classroom. They are already tired by the time they reach home and lack the motivation to complete their homework. If they do homework it is for fear of punishment. When children are forced to do homework, they are less likely to focus on what they are doing. They may just copy answers from their notebook. This practice will not benefit them in any way.
This, however, does not mean that teachers should stop giving homework. They can make homework less of a burden by giving only a small amount of it. This way they can ensure that students have time for play as well. Studies have shown that physical activity also helps brain development and boosts grades indirectly.
To conclude, the practice of giving too much homework should definitely be discouraged as it is unhealthy and useless. However, abolishing homework is not the solution. Instead of taking such drastic measures, in my opinion, teachers should just reduce the amount of homework they give.
- IELTS essay: Should children be given homework?
- IELTS essay sample | Should parents help their children with homework?
- IELTS essay about teachers rewarding students
- Some people believe that giving a weekly allowance will help children to develop good spending habits. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS Essay: Some believe that students who fear their teachers excel academically…
- Chemistry Homework Help: Tips to Understanding Chemistry Better
- Band 9 essay about teachers not wanting to work in rural areas
- Band 9 essay sample | Children are getting into crime because of the lack of emotional support from parents and teachers
- IELTS essay sample | Will computers replace teachers in the classroom?
- Band 7 essay sample | Punishment is necessary to help children learn the difference between right and wrong