Band 9 essay sample | Tax on fast foods should be increased
In some countries an increasing number of people are suffering from health problems as a result of eating too much fast food. It is therefore necessary for governments to impose a higher tax on this kind of food. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
The following is an edited version of an essay submitted by one of our readers.
Fast food has become a way of life because of our hectic lifestyles. We are always in a hurry and have little time or patience for cooking a proper meal. Stores like McDonalds and KFC have become very popular among all age groups because they serve snacks and meals round the clock. There is no waiting period. You are served as soon as you enter their food joint. Unfortunately, excessive consumption of fast food result in several health problems. One way of reducing its consumption is to make it unaffordable. Therefore, I support the argument that the government should increase tax on fast foods.
There is no denying the fact fast foods keep us full all the time, but they are also the number one reason behind our bulging waistlines. My boyfriend, for example, is a huge fan of Burger King. An investor relations manager in London, he is constantly hopping from one meeting to the next and does not have time to cook meals. So, whenever he feels hungry he grabs a burger and keeps himself satiated. This, in his opinion, is better than staying hungry. There are millions of people like him.
Unfortunately, fast food is rich in bad cholesterol. It might lead to abnormalities in lipid profile and cause heart diseases. I am a doctor and one of my patients, a 25 year old man, had suffered myocardial infarction at a young age because of hypertension and hyperlipidemia caused by an improper diet full of fat.
It is true that fast food is convenient but the health consequences make it dangerous. Therefore, I firmly believe that the government should regulate the fast food industry by setting up a special department entrusted with the job of checking the quality of ingredients used by fast food companies. In the short term, imposing higher tax on fast foods is the best option. When taxes are increased, fast foods will become less affordable and that will encourage many people to switch to healthier and cheaper alternatives.
- IELTS essay sample | Fast foods are bad. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Health problems caused by obesity and possible solutions
- Band 9 essay about GM foods
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS essay about causes of obesity
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- Band 7 essay sample about the adverse effects of modernism
- IELTS Speaking sample questions with answers
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Eating home-cooked food is better than eating out