Whether someone achieves their goal or not is a question of luck. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Band 9 essay sample
When someone succeeds, people often attribute that to luck. While I admit that luck may have a role to play here, I don’t know anyone who achieved success only because of luck. Therefore, I disagree with the argument that success or failure is a matter of good or bad luck.
If we look around it is not hard to see that most people who achieved success in life had faced many hardships in their early life. Apple INC’s Steve Jobs, for example, was given up for adoption immediately after he was born. He faced hardships in his early life but went on to found one of the most enduring businesses in the world. Steve Jobs never attributed his success to luck. Neither did Bill Gates, the richest man in the world. They were visionaries who toiled hard to win their goals.
Helen Keller, whose story continues to inspire millions of people even today, didn’t even have many faculties that we take for granted. She could neither hear nor speak but none of these disabilities prevented her from achieving what she wanted in life. There are several such examples of people who fought against all odds to achieve their goals. Many of them came from backgrounds that we consider unlucky. Still through determination, dedication and hard work they were able to achieve success, fame and money.
Of course, there are a few people who achieved success because of good luck. Children born to rich and famous parents, for example, do not have to struggle to become famous or rich. We can perhaps attribute their success to luck but in reality such success does not last long.
To conclude, if a person is determined to succeed nothing, not even bad luck, can prevent them from achieving what they want. Fortune, after all, favours the brave.
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Changing jobs frequently is bad
- IELTS success tips from winners
- IELTS essay | Anyone can be taught to become a musician or athlete
- IELTS Success Tips
- Band 9 essay sample | Eliminating poverty is the best way to reduce crime rates
- IELTS Speaking Test Questions
- Should media write about the private lives of celebrities | IELTS essay
- IELTS essay: Youngsters prefer to move to the city whereas seniors prefer the countryside
- IELTS essay sample | Media is paying too much attention to famous people
- Band 8 essay sample