Most high-level positions in companies are filled by men even though the workforce in many developed countries is more than 50 percent female. Companies should be required to allocate a certain percent of these positions to women.
Band 9 essay sample
In many companies most of the senior level positions are occupied by men. Since many of these companies have an equal number of male and female employees, some people feel that this is unfair. In their opinion, companies should reserve a certain number of managerial positions for women. I both agree and disagree with this view.
There are many reasons why I believe that companies should reserve jobs for women. First of all, women should have the same opportunities as men. Ensuring gender equality in the workplace is the easiest way to avoid gender based discrimination. Also when an equal number of men and women work at senior levels, it will make the work environment pleasant for both genders. What’s more, sometimes just knowing that a certain percent of higher positions are reserved for women can actually be an inspiration for female employees to work hard. Women also have certain qualities that make them good managers. For example, they are better at communicating and solving problems.
On the flip side, reserving positions can have its fair share of disadvantages too. Companies are driven by profits and they need employees who have the skills, expertise and knowledge to take their business forward. If a certain number of senior positions are reserved for women, then companies will be required to appoint only women in those positions. This can actually pose a problem if there aren’t suitable female candidates. If companies are forced to appoint less qualified candidates, it will have a negative impact on their bottom line.
To conclude, companies should strive to achieve gender equality at the workplace. However, I feel that reserving senior management positions for women is not very practical.
- IELTS essay: Should new employees be promoted to higher positions?
- Band 8 report about employment figures among men and women
- IELTS essay: Are younger employees more valuable than older employees?
- IELTS essay: Performance based pay packets encourage employees to work harder. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay sample: Employees should not be asked to work overtime
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Only staff who worked in a company for a long time should be given promotion
- Band 7 essay sample: Decisions should be made by managers and not employees
- Band 7 essay sample | Should employees be part of decision making?
- Young employees are more valuable than old employees | Band 7 essay samples
- Band 7.5 essay sample | More young people now occupy positions in the government