Some people think that they should spend money they earn now enjoying life, while others think that the money should be put into savings for future.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 9 essay sample
There are people who enjoy spending money. They simply cannot resist the urge to splurge. There are also people who believe in saving every penny they earn. In my opinion, neither approach is correct.
It is impossible to get something for nothing. We have to earn money to live comfortably. There are certain expenses that cannot be done away with. For example, we all need food to eat and clothes to wear. We also have a responsibility to take care of our dependent children, parents and spouse. All of these are good reasons to spend money.
However, I am against spending money just for the sake of it. There are people who spend every penny they earn. They buy things without even bothering to check whether they actually need them. While spending might give them some momentary pleasures, they will soon find themselves in deep financial problems. There is no harm in enjoying life by going on a holiday or buying latest fashion clothes or accessories. However, one must ensure that one is not spending more than one can afford. Also, emergencies may arise any time. For example, one can fall ill or lose job. It is impossible to tide over such crises without adequate savings.
Just like some people enjoy spending, there are also some people who enjoy saving. In their relentless quest to save as much as they can, they deprive themselves of the little pleasures in life. These people may have huge bank balances but they fail to enjoy life. Life is short and no one can carry their savings with them to the other world. It is therefore pointless to save all the money one earns without enjoying the little pleasures of the world. Happiness, after all, is the biggest wealth.
To conclude, the very purpose of earning money is to lead a comfortable life. This requires one to save and spend in the right amounts.
- Band 9 Essay Sample | People Should Spend Their Money to Enjoy Life
- IELTS sample essay: people now spend a lot of money on their wedding
- Band 7 essay sample: People spend a lot of money on celebrations. Is this justified?
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?
- Band 7.5 essay about children spending money instead of saving it
- IELTS essay: Parents should teach children about money
- Band 8.5 essay sample | Should governments spend money for training sports people?
- Band 6.5 essay | Young people spend their time in shopping malls
- Band 8 report sample | Household spending patterns
- IELTS essay topic | Countries should not spend too much money on training athletes for international events