Many students find it difficult to learn subjects like mathematics and philosophy and hence they should be optional in schools. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Band 9 essay sample
There is no denying the fact that subjects like mathematics and philosophy are difficult for many students. This, however, does not mean that they should be made optional. Children need to master at least the basic concepts of these subjects to be able to get on with their lives.
Not all students want to be engineers or bank managers. They don’t have to be either but they should still be able to do addition and subtraction. They should understand the concepts of multiplication and division. If they lack these skills, they will find it difficult to manage their everyday life.
Mathematics plays a very important role in our life. Children will not remain children for life. The will become adults a few years down the lane and then they have to manage their finances. Students who didn’t study mathematics at school will not be able to take care of their finances. The fact that they don’t have even basic math skills will also affect their employability. No employer will hire someone who can’t even solve simple sums.
The same is true in the case of philosophy as well. It is not a subject that many students can digest. However, it offers a better perspective on life and helps us to cope with the ups and downs of life.
The existing education system allows students to choose subjects of their preference when they start university education. In my opinion, children should be taught all subjects at the school level. They can choose subjects of their preference when they go for higher education.
To conclude, I strongly disagree with the view that subjects like mathematics and philosophy should be made optional because such a decision will do students more harm than good.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should schools remove non-academic subjects from the syllabus?
- Cue card: Talk about a subject that you didn’t like learning at school
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Should schools teach young students to be a good parent?
- IELTS Essay: Are schools providing specialized training better than those providing general education?
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- How to address ‘do you agree or disagree’ type essays
- IELTS essay sample: Effects of increasing population
- More IELTS essay topics
- Band 7 essay sample: Should children be disciplined?