Nowadays, many families have both parents working. Some working parents believe that other family members can take care of their children, while others think childcare centers are better. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 9 essay sample
The cost of living has increased and hence in many families now both parents work. One of the biggest problems that working parents face is finding an appropriate support system for their children. Some get the help of their parents or other close relatives. Others send their children to daycare centres. In my opinion, both options have their pros and cons. Even so, I am in favour of leaving the children in the care of other family members if that is possible.
In countries like India most people prefer to leave their children in the care of their grandparents. The biggest advantage of this arrangement is that the children will get lots of love and care from their grandparents. They will also learn family values and moral principles. This will ensure their proper emotional and physical development. What’s more, grandparents have previous experience in parenting. So they know how children should be taken care of. On the flip side, grandparents are also known to be overindulgent. They often turn a blind eye to the faults of their grandchildren. As a result children can grow into spoilt brats but parental intervention at the right stages can prevent this from happening.
Sending the kids to daycare centres has its ups and downs too. In a daycare centre the child will have the company of several other children. This opportunity to interact with others will improve their communication skills. Some daycare centres also act as playschools that teach kids numbers and alphabets. On the flip side, the caretakers at these childcare centres have no emotional attachment to the children. They may have degrees in child psychology but they cannot give the love or attention that parents or grandparents can give. What’s more, many of these centres are actually profit driven and often fail to take good care of children.
To conclude, after looking at the pros and cons of both arrangements it is not hard to see that leaving children in the care of their grandparents is a better option than sending them to childcare centres. However, if that is not possible parents should not hesitate to choose the other option.
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?
- IELTS essay: Who should pay for senior care?
- Band 9 essay sample | The government should pay one of the parents to stay at home
- IELTS practice: What happens when both parents work?
- IELTS Speaking Questions: Family- related
- Letter topic found in India: Letter to friend asking her to babysit your kids
- Band 9 essay sample about weak family relationships
- IELTS Band 7 Essay Samples: Should the government take care of the elderly?
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay 1
- Band 8 essay sample | When both parents work how are children affected?