Many people say that the only way to guarantee a good job is to complete a course of university education. Others claim that it is better to start work after school and gain experience in the world of work. How far do you agree or disagree with the above views?
Give reason for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience. Write at least 250 words.
Here is a sample essay
Many people believe that completing a university degree is the only way to get a good job; others think work experience matters more. While universities prepare an individual theoretically, working after school equips a person with skills required for coping in the workplace. In my opinion, both the aforementioned arguments are true to a certain extent.
A university degree enhances an individual’s knowledge and promotes intellectual reasoning. This training makes an individual more mature and ready to face the challenges of the workplace. For example, when I was at university, most of our assignments involved critical thinking and research; this has expanded my knowledge in my field. In this modern world, most employers especially those in sectors like finance and health insist that all applicants should have a degree. A student who starts working immediately after leaving school will not be able to obtain a professional degree and hence cannot find employment in these sectors.
On the flip side, there are several benefits to getting a job soon after leaving school. A job will give the individual valuable work experience; however it is limited to certain occupations such as those in arts and crafts, fashion designing and cooking where creativity and skills matter more. For example, my friend, who is a chef at a famous restaurant never went to a cooking school; however, she makes delicious food because she has been working at a restaurant ever since she left school. This experience helped her polish her cooking skills.
To conclude, both university education and work experience have a role in guaranteeing a good job. Some occupations require a university degree while others do not. In my opinion, everyone should choose what is right for them.
- IELTS essay sample: Employees should not be asked to work overtime
- Common expressions without articles
- IELTS essay: People should choose a job they love. Do you agree?
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- IELTS Reading: Matching Task Example
- IELTS writing test in Hong Kong and Singapore: Cooking food at home is a waste of time
- Band 7 essay sample about working from home
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Eating home-cooked food is better than eating out
- IELTS essay: Should children be given homework?
- IELTS essay sample about fresh graduates lacking interpersonal skills