Many museums and historical sites are mainly visited by tourists but not local people. Why is this the case and what can be done to attract local people to visit these places?
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task. Write at least 250 words.
Band 9 essay sample
Museums and monuments showcase the rich history and culture of a nation. Most of these places attract a large number of tourists; however, local people show little interest in them. There are several reasons behind this trend.
To start with, local people give museums and historical places a miss because they offer nothing new to them. They are already familiar with their culture and history and perhaps have nothing new to discover by frequenting the same museums again and again. A tourist, on the other hand, may enjoy visiting a museum or monument because of the numerous windows they open to the past. Another reason that dissuades local people from visiting museums is that they are rarely updated. What they showcase this month is in no way different from what they showcased last month or last year. Therefore, although they will figure in a tourist’s itinerary, for natives regular visits to such places are quite boring. Cost could also be a factor. Most museums and monuments charge an entry fee which could be an issue for low or middle income families.
The government and local authorities can take several simple steps to rekindle locals’ interest in museums. They can, for example, organize regular exhibitions, cultural events and light shows that provide visitors a new experience every time they visit these places. Scraping the entry fee may also help.
To conclude, if local people prefer to stay away from museums and monuments, that is because these institutions fail to offer new experiences to them. Authorities should consider organizing various cultural programmes and shows at these places to encourage more local people to visit them.
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Only Tourists Visit Museums And Monuments
- Band 8 essay sample | Museums should be enjoyable places to entertain people
- IELTS essay sample | Foreigners visiting cultural places should pay more
- Band 9 Essay Sample | More And More People Visit Dangerous Places
- IELTS essay about foreign films and local films
- Band 7 essay sample | Travelers should follow local customs
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Visitors should follow local customs
- Band 9 essay sample | Visitors should follow local customs and traditions
- Topic card: Describe a library that you visit
- Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history