Today more and more tourists are visiting places where conditions are difficult, such as the Sahara desert or the Antarctic?
What are the benefits and disadvantages for tourists who visit such places?
Band 9 essay sample
Over the last few years, there has been a significant increase in the number of people travelling to inhabitable or hostile places. Most of them are driven by a passion to achieve something that few others have been able to achieve. They want to experience the adrenalin rush that such expeditions bring on.
Travelling to difficult places has both advantages and disadvantages. One of the biggest benefits of undertaking difficult journeys is that they improve one’s confidence in one’s abilities. While the journey can be physically and mentally exhausting, the exhilaration that one experiences upon its successful completion is not something that can be described in mere words. It is this need to test one’s limits that propelled sailors like Magellan and Columbus to sail around the world and discover unknown lands. It is this need to conquer the unknown that encourages people to climb mountains. And there are many takers for this trend. Adventure tourism is growing by leaps and bounds. People are aware of the risks, yet they want to experience the thrill. So, they set out on difficult journeys.
On the flip side, difficult journeys can be extremely dangerous. Things can go against our plans. Lots of travellers have died while trekking difficult mountains or rafting in turbulent rivers. There are also many adventure travellers who sustain serious injuries that leave them immobile for the rest of their lives. Another drawback of such journeys is that if the travellers go missing or find themselves in trouble, the governments may have to launch costly rescue operations.
To conclude, difficult journeys are extremely thrilling. They are equally dangerous; yet many people undertake them because they want to test their limits and conquer the unknown.
- IELTS essay about littering in public places
- Band 8 Essay Sample | More People Are Travelling Than Ever Before
- IELTS essay sample | Foreigners visiting cultural places should pay more
- Band 9 essay sample | People are not feeling safe at home or in public places
- Band 9 essay sample: All governments should ban smoking in public places
- Band 7 essay about people not feeling safe at home or in public places
- Band 9 essay sample: Should mobiles be banned in public places?
- Band 9 essay sample | People now live in different places during their lifetime. Is this a positive trend
- Band 8 essay sample | Mobile phones should be banned in public places
- Band 8 essay sample | Museums should be enjoyable places to entertain people