Band 9 essay sample | Local history is more important than foreign history
It is important for school children to learn about local history rather than world history. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
We learn quite a few things from history. It helps us to understand the progress of nations and civilizations. Some people believe that local history is more important than international history for school children. I don’t agree with this view. In my opinion, national and international histories are as important as local history.
There is no denying the fact that children should learn local history. It helps them to stay connected to their roots. Children who understand the history of their district or state are more likely to appreciate their culture and the contribution of their ancestors. This knowledge will help them to grow into proud citizens.
While it is true that children have several reasons to learn local history, they have an equal number of reasons to learn international history. To start with, we all belong to this world. In this day and age when the world has become a global village the line between local and foreign histories are blurring.
Today’s school children are the citizens of tomorrow. When they grow up many of them will move to foreign countries in search of jobs or higher education. Actually, a large number of them will even migrate to foreign countries. Learning international history makes such migrations easier. It also prevents children from falling into the trap of chauvinism. When children understand that the histories of other countries are as glorious as the history of their own country, they will learn to appreciate and respect foreign cultures and civilizations.
To conclude, it is impossible to say whether local history is more important than foreign history. Children should learn both to get a better understanding of the world and its workings.
- IELTS essay sample | People prefer to watch foreign films rather than local films
- IELTS essay about foreign films and local films
- Band 7.5 essay sample about the reasons for learning a foreign language
- Band 9 essay sample: Is learning another foreign language before English a waste of time?
- IELTS Band 7 Sample Essay: Should Governments Help the Local Film Industry
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- IELTS essay sample | Schools should teach students to become good citizens rather than independent thinkers
- Band 9 essay sample | Merits and demerits of researching one’s family history
- IELTS Essay: Why do people watch foreign films first, before local films?
- Band 9 essay sample: Should students participate in international student exchange programs?