In some countries people prefer to live alone more often than in the past. Do you think this is a positive or a negative development? Why?
Band 9 essay sample
Over the years, there has been a dramatic increase in the number of people who live alone. Globalisation has made it possible for people to find jobs in nearly all parts of the world. In a bid to build their career, they leave their home and country and live alone in another part of the world.
There has also been an increase in the number of people who prefer to live alone. I think this trend is more popular in western countries. There are at least a few benefits to living alone. When you live alone, you have absolute freedom. You also learn to do things on your own. This makes you stronger as a person.
On the other hand, living alone has several disadvantages too. Psychologists believe that being disconnected from one’s family can make one emotionally weak. As human beings, we need people to share our joys and sorrows with. We need people to take care of us when we are ill. Perhaps this is the biggest disadvantage of living alone. When you need help, you have none to offer it. In addition, people who are used to living alone may have difficulty adjusting when they have to share space with others. They might even come across as unfriendly.
After analysing this development it is not hard to see that living alone has its fair share of advantages and disadvantages. However, in my opinion, the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. Human beings are gregarious by nature. We seek company and feel happy when we have our friends and family around. It is true that the traditional family setup curtails the amount of freedom an individual can enjoy. However, there are very many ways to improve the situation. In my opinion, there is absolutely no need to live alone just to enjoy freedom.
- Band 7 essay samples: Flights have become cheaper. Is this a positive development?
- IELTS Essay: Sport is becoming a business. Is this a positive development?
- IELTS Speaking Questions: Family- related
- IELTS essay: Do you think that moving abroad for better jobs is good?
- Band 9 essay sample | People now live in different places during their lifetime. Is this a positive trend
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- IELTS Essay: Are multinational companies good for the economies of developing countries?
- IELTS Speaking: Questions about home town
- Protecting wild animals is a waste of resources | Band 8 essay samples
- IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of freelancing