Some people think that in order to prevent illness and disease, governments should try to reduce environmental pollution and housing problems.
To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Band 9 essay sample
Pollution and poverty are important causes of illnesses. Some people, therefore, feel that the governments should take measures to tackle these evils. I completely agree with this view.
Many governments already earmark a considerable percentage of their annual budget to healthcare. If a fraction of that is spent on providing housing and improving air quality, the governments can prevent people from falling ill in the first place.
Millions of people still live in unhygienic surroundings. They cannot afford a home because of poverty. Unhealthy surroundings are the breeding ground of bacteria, mosquitoes and flies. Since these are the carriers of illnesses people living in slums and poor surroundings fall ill quite often. If the government provides affordable housing to all, the living standards of millions of people in the developing countries will improve substantially. As a result, their health will also improve.
Pollution is another silent killer. Due to environmental pollution the quality of air, water and soil has decreased causing various illnesses in people. For example, respiratory illnesses are quite common among people living in cities because of the poor quality of air in urban areas. Water pollution causes illnesses like typhoid, jaundice and dysentery. While these diseases can affect anyone, people living in dirty surroundings are more likely to be affected by them.
To conclude, if the governments are really keen on improving the health of their citizens, they must address the real cause of diseases. In other words by simply making housing affordable for all and controlling air pollution, the government can protect its people from illnesses. Prevention, after all, is better than cure.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should government provide free housing to the poor?
- IELTS essay about increasing air and water pollution in developing nations
- Band 7 essay sample | Park land should be used for housing
- Band 7 essay sample | Government should take measures to improve people’s health
- IELTS essay sample | Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health
- IELTS essay about government taking measures to improve people’s health
- IELTS band 8 essay sample: Should fuel prices be increased to reduce pollution?
- IELTS essay: The quality of life in cities in worsening
- Band 9 essay sample: How to reduce the number of cars on the road
- IELTS essay about falling air fares