Band 9 Essay Sample | Few People Have A Hobby These Days
The following topic appeared in a recent IELTS exam.
Few people devote time to hobbies nowadays. Why you think this is the case and what effect this has on the individual and society in general.
You should spend about 40 minutes on this IELTS task 2 writing topic.
Band 9 IELTS Essay sample
Nowadays, very few people pursue a hobby. In my opinion, this is not a positive trend because not having a hobby can have a detrimental effect on people. We are now living in a highly stressful and competitive environment where a hobby can be a stress buster. Hobbies are also beneficial for the society because people who have a hobby are less likely to get into crime.
Everybody is busy these days and as such they have no time for hobbies. People have demanding jobs and careers that do not give them any spare time. Not surprisingly very few people pursue hobbies these days. Another factor that discourages people from having a hobby is the easy access to other sources of recreation.
We now live in an age where we receive new and exciting information every millisecond. Thanks to the advent of technologies like the internet and the smart phone people are constantly glued to their screens. The only pastime they have is checking and updating their social profiles. Unfortunately, unlike a hobby internet addiction is actually harmful to the individual. Of course, it helps them to kill their time but most people who spend a lot of time on the internet and social media websites are actually unhappy about their lives. They feel inadequate and crave for more.
A hobby, on the other hand, is an emotionally fulfilling pursuit. It can even lead to financial benefits. For example, someone who pursues painting or blogging as a hobby will probably be able to turn that into a lucrative career. Studies have also shown that hobbies benefit the society as a whole. They give a purpose to life and keep people occupied. As a result people who have a hobby are less likely to get into antisocial and criminal activities.
To conclude, easy access to other sources of recreation is the main reason that discourages people from having a hobby. However, this is a bad development and can have long lasting negative consequences for the individual and the society.
- IELTS sample essay: A lot of older people suffer from loneliness these days
- Band 7 Essay Sample | Use And Abuse Of The Internet
- IELTS essay: Is internet good or bad?
- IELTS essay: Is television a better source of information than traveling?
- IELTS essay sample | Should the governments spend a lot of money on developing internet infrastructure?
- Band 8 Essay: Public libraries are no longer required because of the internet
- Band 7.5 essay sample | Public libraries are no longer required
- IELTS essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of the internet
- Band 9 essay sample | The internet is not a reliable source of information
- IELTS essay sample: Has gadgets affected the creativity of young people?