Scientists agree that people are harming their health by eating too much fat food. Some people think that the solution to this problem is to make people aware of the problems. Others think education will not work. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Band 9 essay sample
Excessive consumption of fatty foods leads to a lot of health problems. Some people believe that creating awareness about the health consequences of junk food is the solution to this problem. Others, however, feel that other measures are required to tackle this issue. In my opinion, creating awareness is important but that alone will not work.
Most people lead a hectic life these days. They do not have the time or energy to cook proper meals. As a result, they subsist on fast food. Many of them are actually aware of the ill effects of fast food; yet they consume it because they prefer convenience to health. Such people will not stop eating junk foods even if the government launches awareness campaigns against such foods. There are also some people who consume fast food because they are ignorant of the consequences of fast food consumption. Awareness campaigns will work best amongst them.
As we have seen, in many cases lack of awareness is not the factor that encourages the consumption of fast foods. Therefore other actions are also required to deal with this problem. People who eat fast food in spite of knowing that it is unhealthy may stop eating it if the government makes it unaffordable by increasing taxes on it. Even this measure will not deter wealthy people from consuming fast foods. Perhaps a better solution is to make healthy food more affordable and accessible. The government can perhaps open eateries that serve healthy food at reasonable prices. In Tamil Nadu, for example, there are state funded canteens that serve healthy foods for a nominal price. When healthy options are available conveniently at least some people will give up fast food.
To conclude, creating awareness about the harmful effects of fast foods is certainly important but it will not solve the problem. In addition to creating awareness, the government has to take measures that make fast foods unaffordable and healthy foods more accessible.
- Band 7 essay about increasing tax on fast foods
- IELTS essay sample | Fast foods are bad. Do you agree?
- Band 9 essay sample | Tax on fast foods should be increased
- Band 9 essay sample about increasing tax on food items
- IELTS essay: Traditional food is being replaced by international fast food
- IELTS essay about unhealthy eating habits in children
- IELTS essay: Obesity can be tackled by increasing the price of junk food items
- IELTS essay about government taking measures to improve people’s health
- IELTS essay about causes of obesity
- Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health | IELTS essay sample