Children today are too dependent on computers and electronic entertainment. It would be better for them to be outside playing sports and taking part in more traditional pastimes than spending all day indoors.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Most children are glued to their computer or cellphone these days. This is not a positive development because when children spend the whole day playing games on their computer or gaming console, they will develop many health problems. They may even develop behavioural problems. In my opinion, it is more beneficial for children to spend time outdoors playing sports or engaging in other activities.
Outdoor games are good for children. They make them fitter and stronger as individuals. Children who play games are healthier. They are also less likely to engage in antisocial activities. Better still, outdoor games require the participation of more than one individual. When children play games like football or cricket, they are also learning several social and management skills. They learn to share and work as part of a team.
On the other hand, children who spend the whole time indoors will most probably spend several hours in front of the TV or computer. This may lead to several health problems like obesity and diabetes. These children may also find it difficult to interact with others. Also, when they spend a lot of time on their computer, they are more likely to be exposed to inappropriate materials on the internet. All of these factors can have an adverse impact on their physical and psychological well-being.
To conclude, it is not hard to see that there are several benefits to engaging in outdoor activities. Parents should not allow children to waste their whole time in front of the TV or computer. Even in those families where both parents are away at work, parents can use software programs to limit their children’s exposure to television and the internet.
- IELTS Essay: Kids today are not as fit as they were in the past
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- IELTS test in Australia
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay 1
- Band 8 essay sample: The internet should be controlled
- IELTS speaking and writing test in Sudan – March 2012
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?
- IELTS sample essay: people now spend a lot of money on their wedding
- Some people believe that giving a weekly allowance will help children to develop good spending habits. Do you agree or disagree?
- IELTS Essay: Is work-life balance necessary?