Band 9 essay sample | Children are spending too much time playing video games
Nowadays children spend more time playing computer games than doing sports. Why is it happening? Does it have a positive or negative effect on their development?
Band 9 essay sample
Physical activity plays an important role in the physical and psychological development of children during the initial years of their life. However, urbanization and modernization have replaced outdoor games with indoor games and thus increased the number of couch potatoes among the current generation. In my view this is a negative development that affects the physical and mental development of children.
Firstly, urbanization eliminated public playgrounds from cities and towns. Thanks to the development of all those housing complexes and shopping centres the cities have become more congested than ever leaving no room for little ones to enjoy outdoor games like cricket or football. Since playing such sports in narrow streets cause disturbance to apartment dwellers parents are forced to keep their children indoors.
The security of children has also become a cause for concern. Parents are becoming wary of letting their children play outside. So, to keep them engaged indoors they equip their children with video games, computers and smart phones. As a result, children are getting detached from the benefits of playing outside. This, unfortunately, affects their physical and intellectual development. Sitting in front of a computer or gaming console for long hours can affect the eyesight of children and make them obese.
Studies have shown that physical activity helps the development of cognitive abilities like decision-making and problem-solving. Sports and games also teach children crucial life skills such as team spirit and the ability to take success and failure alike. When children do not engage in sports, they are losing an opportunity to master these life lessons.
To conclude, video games might keep children engaged for hours on end, but they do not help the overall development of children. So I strongly believe that spending too much time on playing computer games can be very harmful for the upcoming generation.
- Band 9 essay sample | Watching TV or playing video games affect the intellectual development of children
- Band 9 essay sample: Children should spend more time outdoor playing games
- IELTS essay sample | Are computer games bad for children?
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
- IELTS essay sample: Should sports be taught at school?
- Band 9 essay sample | Watching TV does not improve the intellectual skills of children
- IELTS Essay: Kids today are not as fit as they were in the past
- IELTS essay sample | Children spend too much time watching TV
- Strategies for the 3rd part of the speaking module
- IELTS essay sample | Building more sports facilities is the best way to improve public health