It has been proved that smoking kills. In some countries it has been made illegal for people to smoke in public places except in certain areas. All countries should make these rules.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your knowledge or experience.
Smoking is injurious to health. It can even cause deadly diseases like cancer. Many countries have already banned smoking in public places. In my opinion, others too should follow suit and ban it.
There are several benefits to banning smoking in public places. Smoking ban will definitely improve the quality of air we breathe. Cigarette contains nicotine which is a cancerous substance. In addition to cancer, smoking causes several other health problems. In fact, statistics have shown tremendous rise in the occurrence of mouth cancer among people who smoke regularly. Some studies have also shown that people who smoke more than 3 cigarettes a day have increased chances of developing cancer. Smoking may also cause other problems like heart attack and respiratory illnesses.
The biggest problem with smoking is that in order to suffer from its ill effects, you don’t necessarily have to be a smoker. Passive smoking also kills. It is particularly harmful for young children and pregnant women. If people are allowed to smoke in crowded public places like railway stations or bus stands, its harmful effects will have to be borne by all people standing next to the smoker. Banning smoking in public places is the only way to solve this problem.
Pollution is one of the biggest problems that we face today. Smoking not only aggravates this problem but it also causes the depletion of the ozone layer which protects us from sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays. It is evident that smoking plays a significant role in damaging our health and our environment.
In conclusion, I personally believe that all governments should ban smoking in public places. This might cause some inconvenience to chain smokers, but ultimately this ban will benefit them as well.
- Band 9 essay sample: Should mobiles be banned in public places?
- Using not only/but also
- IELTS Band 8 letter sample: Problems with public transport
- Band 9 essay sample | People now live in different places during their lifetime. Is this a positive trend
- Band 9 essay sample: Should governments invite foreign companies to open branches?
- IELTS Essay: Some people believe that advertisements targeting children have negative effect on them
- Should governments be held responsible for unemployment?
- Band 8 Essay: Public libraries are no longer required because of the internet
- IELTS Essay: Are public celebrations a waste of money?
- IELTS Essay: Should governments provide financial assistance to artists?