Band 9 essay sample about weak family relationships
It is generally accepted that families are not as close as they used to be. Give some reasons why this change has happened and suggest how families could be brought closer together. Include any relevant examples from your experience. You should write at least 250 words.
There is no denying the fact that family ties are becoming weaker. This is particularly true in western countries where relationships are becoming less and less relevant. There are several reasons behind this unfortunate development. The most important, of course, is the change in our lifestyles, values and goals.
Families that spend a lot of time together tend to be closer. And families where the members rarely come face to face with one another have hardly anything that ties them together. In the olden days parents and children used to live and work together. In many families, children pursued the same career as their father. They learned the trade or craft from their parents and elder siblings. This allowed them to spend more time with their family and that made their relationships stronger.
Now we are living in the age of individualism. Everyone needs their space. This has made us more self-centred than our parents or grandparents. This also reflects in our relationships. We no longer believe in making adjustments or compromises. We want everything our way. This attitude creates strain in our relationships.
There is yet another reason that affects family bonds. People are increasingly moving to another city or country in search of better education, jobs or living standards. They leave their family behind. While it is possible to keep in touch through modern communication means, an email or phone call is not equal to a face-to-face interaction. The only way to forge better ties with our near and dear ones is to spend more time with them. We must realize that our biggest strength is our family. Relationships are like potted plants. We need to nourish them. If we don’t give them the love and affection they need, they will wilt.
To conclude, if we need better family relationships we must be willing to adjust and compromise. We must realize that the only way to win love is to give love. Instead of confining ourselves to our space, we must come out of it. We must let others in too.
- IELTS Speaking Questions: Family- related
- IELTS practice: What happens when both parents work?
- IELTS Essay: What effects do traveling parents have on their children?
- IELTS Writing: Model Essay 1
- IELTS speaking practice | Describe a family you like
- Band 9 essay sample | Merits and demerits of researching one’s family history
- IELTS essay sample | The structure of families and roles of family members are changing
- Band 8 essay sample | When both parents work how are children affected?
- IELTS essay: Teenagers are becoming addicted to drugs
- IELTS essay sample: Children now know less about their culture