Information technology enables many people to do their work outside their workplace. Do the benefits of this mobility outweigh the disadvantages? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Technology has significantly changed the way we live and work. For instance it has allowed many of us to have flexible work hours. When we can have our data available in a cloud, we can work pretty much from anywhere in the world. Some people believe that this flexibility improves the quality of our life and work. However, in my opinion, working from home has both benefits and drawbacks.
One of the most important benefits of working from home is the ability to spend more time with our loved ones. Some people argue that this will boost the morale of employees and encourage them to give their best. Remote working also benefits parents of very young children. A lot of women quit their jobs to take care of their children. If companies allow them to work from their home, they can join the workforce again. Companies also benefit when employees work from their home. They can save money on office rentals and utility bills.
On the flip side, remote working has its drawbacks too. Some people believe that having a nice workplace where people can work together as a team and communicate closely is more beneficial than working from outside. I have a personal example on how distance can interfere with work outcomes. My boss travels a lot and sometimes I have a hard time meeting him. Once he asked me to prepare a presentation for a meeting we were going to have. As I started to work on it, I found out that I had some questions and I couldn´t reach him to clarify my doubts. I finished my work and then weeks later, when he got back, I showed him my presentation and it was not what he wanted. As a result, I had to do it again, which was a waste of time.
To conclude, there are both benefits and drawbacks to working from home. Flexible hours or freelancing is not for everyone; however, there are lots of employees who benefit from it.
- Band 9 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of working from home
- Band 7 essay sample | Advantages and disadvantages of working from home
- Band 7 essay sample about working from home
- IELTS essay about advantages and disadvantages of home appliances
- IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of freelancing
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of globalisation
- Band 9 IELTS essay: Advantages and disadvantages of being a celebrity
- IELTS essay sample | Do credit cards have more advantages than disadvantages?
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
- Band 9 essay sample about the advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling and regular schooling