Band 9 essay sample about the advantages and disadvantages of homeschooling and regular schooling
Some people believe that teaching children at home is best for a child’s development while others think that it is important for children to go to school. Discuss the advantages of both methods and give your own opinion.
Band 9 essay sample
Some people argue that homeschooling is better for the development of children while others disagree and opine that children should go to an educational institution. In my opinion, both home schooling and regular schooling have their merits and demerits. However, I am in favour of sending children to an educational institution because it is more beneficial for their overall development and prepares them for their future.
The biggest advantage of homeschooling is that children can learn at their pace and at a time convenient for them and their parent or teacher. Children attending regular schools cannot have this luxury. Also when children learn at home, their teacher or parent can give them 100 percent attention. This is particularly beneficial for slow learners who need more time and attention to grasp concepts.
On the flip side, when a child learns at home, she gets hardly any opportunity to interact with other children. A school is much more than a place where children learn alphabets and arithmetic. It is a microcosm of the world. Children get to interact with a lot of strangers at school. Also, they face many challenges. All of these improve their social skills and help them learn valuable coping skills which will prepare them for their future. By contrast, homeschooled children have hardly any interaction with the outside world and may be in for a rude shock when they enter the job market. Even if they do well in academics, their lack of social skills and real world experience may affect their ability to find a good job.
To conclude, while it is true that homeschooling does have some advantages, I am in favour of sending children to regular schools because a lot of skills that they learn at school cannot be learned or taught at home.
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computer games
- Band 9 essay about the advantages and disadvantages of computers
- Band 9 essay sample: Advantages and disadvantages of working from home
- IELTS essay about the advantages and disadvantages of modern communication technologies
- IELTS essay sample: The advantages and disadvantages of the internet
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values
- IELTS essay: Should children attend nursery schools prior to their primary studies?
- Band 6.5 essay sample about the advantages and disadvantages of nuclear energy
- IELTS Essay: The number of older people is rising. What are the advantages or disadvantages of this?
- Band 8.5 essay | The advantages and disadvantages of the internet