Here is a band 8 IELTS letter sample submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
You have borrowed 10 library books and due to an urgent matter you will not be able to return them on time. Write a letter politely explaining your position and requesting that your fine be withheld.
Band 8 IELTS letter sample
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing to inform you that I will not be able to return the academic books I loaned from the library on time. I sincerely regret this.
I am a final year student appearing for university examinations this month. For my exam preparation, I had loaned 10 books from your library on condition that I would return them within five days.
Due to an upcoming student strike, however, the board of examinations has rescheduled the semester exam to an earlier date. The college management has convinced the students that it is important to hold the examinations before the students go on strike.
Consequently I am now left with only a few days for the final examinations. Hence, I will not be able to return the books as per the agreed timelines. Actually, I want to keep them for another three days. I hope you will understand my situation and withdraw the penalty imposed on me for retaining the books beyond the permissible time.
Thank you for your consideration.
- Band 7.5 IELTS Letter Sample | Apply For The Position Of Library Assistant
- IELTS Letter: Write a letter to your friend expressing your inability to meet on a particular date
- IELTS Band 8 letter sample: Letter expressing dissatisfaction with room mate
- Band 8.5 IELTS Letter Sample | Write An Apology Letter To A Friend
- Band 8.5 IELTS Letter Sample | Write A Letter Expressing Your Interest To Volunteer
- Band 8 IELTS Letter Sample | Write A Letter Expressing Your Interest In Buying A Used Car
- IELTS letter sample | Write a letter to a friend expressing your gratitude for helping you find accommodation
- Topic card: Describe a library that you visit
- IELTS Sample Letter: Letter to a librarian
- IELTS Writing task 1 in Dubai – letter