Band 8 IELTS Essay Sample |
This band 8 IELTS essay sample was submitted by one of our students. Send us your writing samples for a free band score estimate or get a detailed analysis of your writing for a fee.
Over time, as children grow older, the relationship they have with their parents changes. In your opinion, what role should parents have in their adult children’s lives? Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Band 8 IELTS essay sample
As young people move from adolescence to adulthood, the nature of their relationship with their parents typically changes from dependence to a more equal, mutually supportive relationship between adults. In my opinion, even after children have grown into adults, parents still have an important role in their life. For example, they can continue to give emotional support to their grown up children.
Adulthood is the stage of life when a person has to bear a lot of responsibilities and face different kinds of challenges. At such times, lack of experience to manage responsibilities and pressure of challenges may put a person in stressful situations. It is in these situations that they badly need the guidance and the emotional support of their parents. In fact parental support can turn hard times into great opportunities to learn and improve.
Various studies have shown that emotional support is the most desired form of help that every adult requires and none other than parents can offer it in abundance. In addition to emotional support, parents can pass down values to their children. It is often believed that the right set of values and appropriate approach towards various aspects of life leads to a peaceful, happy and satisfied life which is the ultimate goal for most people. Adulthood is also the period of life when one has to unlearn some values or philosophy and learn fresh ones instead. And at this stage of confusion, our parents can teach us the right set of values and attitudes to lead a happy life.
In conclusion, as children grow up, parents’ role changes from that of caregivers to that of a guide or emotional support system.
- Band 9 essay sample | Children are getting into crime because of the lack of emotional support from parents and teachers
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Teenage Years Are the Happiest Period of Life
- IELTS practice: What happens when both parents work?
- IELTS Band 7 essay sample: Should schools teach young students to be a good parent?
- Band 9 Essay Sample | Sending Kids to Childcare Centres Is Better Than Leaving Them in the Care of Their Grandparents
- IELTS Essay: Is it good for children to be brought up by their grandparents?
- Band 7.5 essay sample
- Band 9 IELTS Essay Sample | The Most Important Things In Life Are Free
- IELTS essay sample | Should parents help their children with homework?
- Band 8 essay sample | School is the place to learn social values